For someone with my personality- a type A perfectionist/planner- last week was a logistical nightmare. Originally I was going to go to the Sport of Horses Dressage show with Trainer J. Remember? I was super excited, as this would be my first show with Trainer J to help. And then I was going to go XC schooling at Windridge with Trainer B either Friday or Sunday.
Then a barnmate who had signed up for the dressage show received an email saying that the show was full and if they had anyone from the same barn going, to let them know right away. So I emailed the organizer to see if they could still get me in, and received no response.
In that time, waiting to hear back, Trainer B and I determined that Sunday was out because it was less than 30 days before Windridge was putting on their recognized HT. Since I still hadn’t heard about the dressage show, I said I could go Saturday if we needed to.
The next day I heard back from the dressage show organizer, saying he could fit me in. And I had to respond, saying I couldn’t make it anymore.
Then Trainer B heard back from Windridge, saying Friday should be ok.
Then I was going to email the show organizer back, asking if I could still be put in, when BO told me Trainer J was going in the morning with a client for her USDF test, but the small arena tests (eventing and Intro) wouldn’t be until the afternoon, so didn’t think Trainer J would be staying. So in that case, why bother?
Then it was Thursday night and Trainer B still hadn’t gotten a confirmation from Windridge, so we decided on a regular lesson.
Friday morning when I went to the barn, BO told me Trainer J was going to stay for the afternoon dressage tests.
If you followed that, you have excellent comprehension skills and I commend you. Long story short, no XC schooling and no dressage show.
But in good news, P got to test out nearly all of Trainer B’s new (and super spooky) show jumps, and did fantastic! Pretty much all of the old fences are now in the field, and have been replaced with brightly colored jumps with lots of portable cutouts. Walking into the arena, P was spooking left and right at every single one, so I was quite impressed with him when we finished. And that was the final test ride in the rubber bit, and has Trainer B’s stamp of approval, so it will be our official jumping bit from now on.
In bad news, Windridge HT is a no-go for Trainer B- he has to take a horse to Jersey that weekend since it’s closer than Bromont and the horse doesn’t travel well. I thought about going on my own anyways since I like Windridge, but the Spartan Super is that Saturday, and I really wanted to do that as well. The Spartan race won out, and Trainer B and I will head to VA CIC & HT at the end of May. Which will give Husband a better chance at finishing the trailer anyway, since he only has weekends to do so.
In fun news, even though I wasn’t showing, since I now had nothing to do on Saturday, I went with BO and our friend who was showing BO’s other horse to the dressage show and we had a blast.
We had wine, snacks galore, and sippy cups, which apparently fooled no one. BO and friend did Intro B, and swept the class, and Trainer J was there with her daughter to join in on the fun.
Sunday we had some insane storms that included tornados, so Husband had to stop work on the trailer early, and I didn’t get to ride.
It’s a little sad that nothing is on the calendar for over a month, but I’m hoping that in that time we can go XC schooling at least once before then. Trainer B said that with P jumping all the jumps he did on Friday, that SJ should never be a problem again, so in my opinion, we really need to focus on XC. Even though he was fantastic about the jumps at both Full Gallop and Windridge, and he’s been great schooling over the XC jumps we have at the barn, there’s still a lot of education to be had on both our parts before I’ll truly feel comfortable.
Happy riding to everyone this week!